Aam Aadmi Party's (AAP's) Narela MLA Sharad Chauhan was arrested by the Delhi Police on Sunday, said a report, adding that Chauhan was the 12th AAP MLA arrested in criminal cases since February 2015.testing.. we are here....
Chauhan, the report added, has been booked for allegedly abetting the suicide of a woman party volunteer.
The woman had committed suicide by consuming poison on July 18.
Six others, including Chauhan’s personal assistant and a Delhi Police Assistant Sub-Inspector, were also arrested, The Hindu reported.
According to the report, Chauhan's close associate Ramesh Bharadwaj had been threatening the woman, who he had allegedly molested last December, using Chauhan’s name.
The arrest comes days after AAP MLA Naresh Yadav was granted bail by a local court of Sangrur, Punjab, in connection with the alleged sacrilege incident in Malerkotla on June 24.
Here are the 11 other AAP MLAs and the cases against them:
1) Naresh Yadav: Yadav, who was granted bail on July 30, had been remanded into police custody in connection with the alleged sacrilege incident in Malerkotla, Punjab, on June 24.
As reported earlier, the Mehruali MLA was remanded in police custody for two days by the Malerkotla court on July 25. On July 27, the AAP MLA was sent to the judicial custody till August 1 by the court.
2) Amanatullah Khan: Late last month, Khan, an AAP legislator who had been arrested on charges of threatening a woman, was granted bail by a Delhi court.
As reported earlier, on July 20, a 35-year-old woman had filed a complaint against Khan, alleging that he had threatened her with dire consequences.
According to reports, a case was registered against Khan under attempt to commit culpable homicide, criminal intimidation and insulting the modesty of a woman at the Jamia Nagar police station in south Delhi.
A day before police arrested Khan, the legislator filed a counter case saying he was not even in Delhi when he was supposed to have allegedly threatened the woman.
3) Prakash Jarwal: Earlier last month, Jarwal, an AAP MLA, was booked for allegedly molesting a woman who had gone to lodge a complaint regarding water crisis at the Delhi Jal Board office in southeast Delhi's Greater Kailash area.
Jarwal denied the charges and on July 11 he was granted interim relief by a Delhi court till July 18 after he moved a plea seeking protection from arrest.
4) Dinesh Mohaniya: In late June, Mohaniya was arrested in a case of alleged molestation and sent to judicial custody for 14 days by a Delhi court which had rejected his bail plea.
The AAP MLA was booked on June 23 for allegedly misbehaving with a group of women who had approached him with a complaint regarding water crisis in their locality on the previous midnight.
An FIR was lodged at South Delhi's Neb Sarai Police Station.
5) Somnath Bharti: The former law minister and AAP MLA, Bharti, was arrested by the Delhi police in 2015 in connection with a domestic violence and attempt to murder case filed by his wife.
Bharti, who evaded arrest for nearly a week, surrendered hours after the Supreme Court ordered him to give himself up.
Bharti was later granted bail.
However, an FIR was registered against Bharti on charges of allegedly 'instigating' some men to misbehave with a woman earlier last month.
6) Manoj Kumar: The MLA from Kondli, Kumar faces charges of cheating and land grabbing for which he was arrested in July 2015. He was later released on bail.
Additionally, late last month, the Delhi Commission for Women transferred the matter of Kumar, who has been embroiled in a case of domestic violence, to the Delhi Police for further action.
7) Jitender Singh Tomar: The former Delhi law minister and AAP MLA from Trinagar, Tomar, was arrested on June 9, 2015, following a probe by the Delhi police on the complaint of Bar Council of Delhi that he had obtained a fake law degree from a Bihar college.
Tomar was granted bail in July the same year.
8) Surinder Singh: AAP's Delhi Cantonment MLA, Singh, was arrested on August 21, 2015, for allegedly making casteist remarks against an New Delhi Municipal Council official.
Singh is currently out on bail.
Speaking on the matter to The Times of India, AAP supremo and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said: "Police kept him in jail because he was helping out a street vendor who was being harassed by an official...."
9) Akhilesh Tripathi: AAP's MLA from Model Town constituency, Tripathi, was arrested and sent to judicial custody in November last year for repeatedly defying direction for appearance in a 2013 case of rioting and criminal intimidation.
Tripathi was granted bail a day after his arrest.
According to reports, a case was lodged against Tripathi and four other accused on March 9, 2013, following allegations that on March 8, 2013, they had gathered at G T Karnal Road near Lal Bagh Azadpur, along with other AAP supporters, and entered into a quarrel with complainant Bittu Jha.
10) Mahendra Yadav: The Vikaspuri AAP MLA, Yadav, was arrested in January this year under various charges, including rioting and assaulting a public servant during a protest.
He was later granted bail.
11) Jagdeep Singh: The AAP MLA from Hari Nagar, Singh, was arrested in May this year for allegedly assaulting the manager of a waste management company, contracted by the area's municipal corporation, and later granted bail.